The Alpine Machine Packs
Light and Tough. Just what you expect in a pack designed for alpine climbing or multiple seasons of ice climbing. Like all the packs built at Alpine Luddites, I expect this to hold up to 100's of days in use.
I often say no 2 packs are ever alike. the custom order form is just a starting place to design your pack around. often bag proportions are adjusted to fit your actual body shape. A customer with a short torso shouldn't be wearing the same bag shape as someone with 21'' torso.
Costs: cost for the finished pack will vary, with $750 being the base price with full lid/brain and all the custom fitting and options on the order form. once we have a phone call or shop visit sorting out the details and any extra options or fabrics that add to the base price i can invoice you for the remaining cost when I am a couple weeks out from making your pack. the pack Deposits are non refundable.
download the custom pack order form. You can see some of the most popular custom options here.
After you order a pack I'll contact you to review the custom order form together.
The Alpine pack is available in 2 volumes; 40 &50 liters. features are identical throughout the range.
custom sized back length
- sizing notes: for sizing, I'll need your waist size in just a shirt. for back length measure from where you want the bottom of the pack to sit to top of your shoulder. If you plan to wear this with a harness on and climb wearing the pack, measure from where you want the bottom of the pack to sit in relation to your harness to top of your shoulder. For normal mountaineering use I'll need the length from where you like your pack to sit on the bottom edge of your back to the top center of the shoulder, but don't wrap the tape over your shoulder. Our padded hip belt is 3.5" wide, narrow enough to allow you to lift your legs while post holing but wide enough to help transfer some of the load. It's fully removable for climbing.
Construction: this pack is built with only two main seams that attach the two body panels together. There is no need to worry about blown stitching either. all seams have multiple passes at 8 -10 stitches per inch. compare that to most mass produced gear. All seams are taped for durability. all webbing attachment points have 6-8 lines of stitching. All webbing stress points are fully reinforced with a second layer of webbing.
- Volume options: 40 or 50 Liters. The bivy extension allows you to vary this by 5 -10 Liters. The lid adds 5 Liters to the volume, but its extra volume isn't included. IE a 40L pack is 40L without a lid. The Don lid is a flat pocket.
- Two-pocket lid, one on the underside. Fully removable from any position. can be purchased later or if it gets trashed or lost.
- roll top bivy extension is made out of Xpac VX21 fabric, which is waterproof to 200 psi. finished extended length is ~12".
- regular bivy extension is made out of 7 oz ripstop pack cloth so it won't tear out of your pack.
- Weight-24-56 ounces depending on volume and features, but as each pack is tailored for each customer the weight can go up or down. please contact me to discuss this more.
- sizes: each pack is custom sized, made to measure back length, waist belt, and shoulder straps
- closed cell foam back pad
- removable padded hip belt.
- Ice tools & crampon patch reinforced with the 2nd layer of fabric.
- full strength front and rear haul loops. front loop is reinforced with a layer of 2" nylon webbing sewn onto the pack. Haul points are sewn on top of this to spread the stress out onto the entire front of the pack, not just into the stitching.
- shoulder straps have a fully adjustable sternum strap and lift straps. both removable.
- rope strap.
- Ultra 200,400,800 . these are woven UHMWPE fabrics, also sold as Dyneema, Spectra brand names. Other options are available on the Custom Pack Order Form.
How to order:place your Deposit by choosing your choice of options from the menu. once your order is placed I will either email or set up a call, and we will go through all the details of size, volume, materials, colors, etc..