The Alpine Machine Packs
Light and Tough. Just what you expect in a pack designed for alpine climbing or multiple seasons of ice climbing. Like all the packs built at Alpine Luddites, I expect this to hold up to 100's of days in use.
download the custom pack order form. You can see some of the most popular custom options here.
After you order a pack I'll contact you to review the custom order form together.
The Alpine pack is available in 2 volumes; 40 &50 liters. features are identical throughout the range.
standard or custom sized back length
- xs 15" back length
- s 17" back length
- m 19" back length
- l 21" back length
- xl 23" back length
This pack is available custom sized back length and hip belt. there is no reason to make do with a poor fitting pack. I can accommodate people with 13" torso to tall men who need 23". There is no extra charge for custom fitting. It just takes a while....about 4-6 weeks.
sizing notes: for sizing, I'll need your waist size in just a shirt. for back length measure from where you want the bottom of the pack to sit to top of your shoulder. If you plan to wear this with a harness on and climb wearing the pack, measure from where you want the bottom of the pack to sit in relation to your harness to top of your shoulder. For normal mountaineering use I'll need the length from where you like your pack to sit on the bottom edge of your back to the top center of the shoulder, but don't wrap the tape over your shoulder. Our padded hip belt is 3.5" wide, narrow enough to allow you to lift your legs while post holing but wide enough to help transfer some of the load. It's fully removable for climbing.
Construction: this pack is built with only two main seams that attach the two body panels together. There is no need to worry about blown stitching either. all seams have multiple passes at 8 -10 stitches per inch. compare that to most mass produced gear. All seams are taped for durability. all webbing attachment points have 6-8 lines of stitching. All webbing stress points are fully reinforced with a second layer of webbing on the inside of the pack.
- Volume options: 40 or 50 Liters. The bivy extension allows you to vary this by 5 -10 Liters. The lid adds 5 Liters to the volume, but its extra volume isn't included. IE a 40L pack is 40L without a lid. The Don lid is a flat pocket.
- Two-pocket lid, one on the underside. Fully removable from any position. can be purchased later or if it gets trashed or lost.
- bivy extension is made out of 200D nylon. much more durable than sil coated ripstop. length is ~12".
- another option is the "roll top extension sleeve" this makes for a weatherproof seal when the pack is used without the lid.
- Weight-24-38 ounces depending on volume and features, but as each pack is tailored for each customer the weight can go up or down. please contact me to discuss this more.
- sizes: both stock and made to measure back length, waist belt, and shoulder straps .custom sizing no charge.
- closed cell foam back pad
- removable padded hip belt.
- Ice tools & crampon patch reinforced with the 2nd layer of fabric.
- full strength front and rear haul loops. front loop is reinforced with a layer of 2" nylon webbing sewn onto the inside of the pack. Haul points are sewn on top of this to spread the stress out onto the entire front of the pack, not just into the stitching.
- shoulder straps have a fully adjustable sternum strap and lift straps. both removable.
- rope strap.
- 100% Dimension Polyant 5 layer UHMWPE laminated fabric or 500 D Cordura with UHMWPE heavy grid. Other options available o the Custom Pack Order Form.
How to order:place your order by choosing your choice of options from the menu. once your order is placed I will either email or set up a call, and we will go through all the details of size, volume, materials, colors, etc..