The Alpine Machine
Light and Tough. Just what you expect in a pack designed for expeditions, alpine climbing or multiple seasons of guiding. Like all the packs built at Alpine Luddites, I expect this to hold up to 100's of days in use.
download the custom pack order form. You can see some of the most popular custom options here.
After you order a pack I'll contact you for your waist belt size and any customization. You can choose from all features: waist belt, harness size, bivy pad, frame sheet, alloy stays, crampon and ice tool attachment, webbing color and size, fitting issues, etc.
The 60 & 70 L packs differ from the Machine packs in several ways; They are all larger in volume. They have the option for a bigger removable, fully padded hip belts and shoulder straps, more appropriate for carrying big loads than pure climbing packs.
Pack Volume & Unique Features:
60 & 70L, plus a tall bivy extension and floating lid. Guides overstuff these packs. The rope strap secures gear with or without the lid. The lid straps are removable from the front of the pack. Some of my customers buying this pack for climbing at high altitude are going with single stay, but no frame sheet to save half a pound. We sort exactly how you want your pack set up, during our phone call, once you order the pack.
Since this is an expedition pack there are wand pockets for wands, pickets, tent poles, shovel handles. These can be left off.
standard or custom sized back length
- xs 15" back length
- s 17" back length
- m 19" back length
- l 21" back length
- xl 23" back length
This pack is available custom sized back length and hip belt. there is no reason to make do with a poor fitting pack. I can accommodate people with 13" torso to tall men who need 23". There is no extra charge for custom fitting. It just takes a while....about 4-6 weeks. faster than a custom bike frame.
sizing notes: for sizing, I'll need your waist size in just a shirt. for back length measure from where you want the bottom of the pack to sit to top of your shoulder. If you plan to wear this with a harness on and climb wearing the pack, measure from where you want the bottom of the pack to sit in relation to your harness to top of your shoulder. For normal mountaineering use I'll need the length from where you like your pack to sit on the bottom edge of your back to the top center of the shoulder, but don't wrap the tape over your shoulder. Our padded hip belt is 3.5" wide, narrow enough to allow you to lift your legs while postholing but wide enough to help transfer some of the load. It's fully removable for climbing.
Construction: this pack is built with only two main seams that attach the two body panels together. There is no need to worry about blown stitching either. all seams have multiple passes at 8 -10 stitches per inch. compare that to most mass produced gear. All seams are taped for durability. All webbing stress points are fully reinforced with a second layer of webbing on the inside of the pack. look at the bottom of the photos for an interior shot.
- Two-pocket lid, one on the underside. Fully removable from any position. can be purchased later if it gets trashed or lost.
- bivy extension is made out of 200D nylon. sleeve length 12".
- Weight-38-48 ounces depending on volume and features, but as each pack is tailored for each customer the weight can go up or down. Please contact me to discuss this more.
- sizes: both stock and made to measure back length, waist belt, and shoulder straps.
- closed cell foam back pad
- removable padded hip belt.
- Ice tools & crampon patch reinforced with the 2nd layer of fabric.
- full strength front and rear haul loops. front loop is reinforced with a layer of 2" nylon webbing sewn onto the inside of the pack. Haul points are sewn on top of this to spread the stress out onto the entire front of the pack, not just into the stitching.
- shoulder straps have a fully adjustable sternum strap and lift straps. both removable.
- rope strap.
- UHMWPE Fabric: Dimension Polyant five layer Laminated DX40 fabric for best strength to weigh. Other fabrics are available, please refer to the cutom pack order form.